Monday, July 28, 2014

The Communicator is Broken!


Family Conflict and Resolution
Homeward – S7E13


Although this episode is about rescuing a people from a dying planet and wresting with the prime directive, it is also about navigating the challenges in relationship. In this case the challenge is between Worf and his brother. Worf’s brother is the leader of the Boraalan tribe on the dying planet and is determined to lead them to safety in a subversive way that involves the Enterprise whether they like it or not. Worf is assigned the task of going down to the planet to respond to the distress call. As he is surgically altered to look like a Boraalan, he has a dialogue with Dr. Crusher. She asks about his brother. Worf responds with, “We are brothers.” (sigh), that tone that signifies challenges. It is his foster brother. He describes them as having many disagreements growing up. His brother has a mind of his own, but can’t follow rules. He also balances it with, “But he has many fine qualities. He’s brilliant, persuasive, a natural leader.”

Nikolai (Worf's foster brother) beams up to the ship to request that the Captain creates a biosphere for the dying planet in order to rescue one of the small tribes with whom he lives. Picard informs him that he cannot help him as the prime directive was designed to ensure non-interference.


The Conflict


After we watch the atmosphere of the planet disappear and destroy a civilization Worf tracks a power drain to Holodeck 5 only to find that his brother has transported all of the tribe onto the holodeck which he has set to conform to the physical characteristics on the planet. Worf is furious. Nikolai responds with, “I’ve done what you have refused to do. I’ve saved them.” I wasn’t going to let those people die just because your Captain started quoting Federation dogma to me.”

Worf: Your duty was to respect the Captain’s orders and uphold the prime directive. 
Nikolai: Duty. That’s all that really matters to you, isn’t it? Well, I refuse to be bound by an abstraction. The lives of the people of Boraal are far more important to me. You worry too much, Worf. You always did. Everything will work out.
Worf: You have disgraced yourself. And you have disgraced me. I want nothing more to do with you.

In the next scene, we find Nikolai convincing the Captain to look for an M class planet for the tribe. 

What can the Captain do? He is left with little choice. To make matters worse, they have trouble keeping the holodeck simulation stable so that the Boraalans do not know that they are on a star ship. Meanwhile, the Captain orders Worf to stay with and monitor Nikolai on the holodeck since he has already caused enough trouble. Worf resists but obeys orders. Worf explains the intermittent malfunction of the holodeck to the tribe as a good omen. Nikolai says, “Apparently, we’re not such a bad team after all.” Worf responds emphatically with, “We are not a team. I am here because Captain Picard ordered me here!”

They start to bicker more heatedly.

Nikolai: Worf, don’t we both share the same goal? Aren’t we both trying to make this plan work?
Worf: Only because you forced us into it. 
Nikolai: I’m not ashamed of what I did. I’m not sorry I saved their lives.
Worf: You have not changed. You still expect people to solve the problems you create.
Nikolai: I’m not here to work out the issues of our childhood. I’m here to save a people who I care about. And, if that upsets you, then so be it.

Nikolai walks away. Worf looks troubled.

Worf: Everywhere you go, you create chaos. How many times did our parents lie awake at night wondering what kind of trouble you were in.
Nikolai: (Sarcastically) Oh! If only I could have been like you! Worf. The perfect son! 
Worf: I was not perfect. But I was not wild and disobedient!
Nikolai: Of course not. You were too busy doing your duty.
Worf: I would rather be accused of that than making our mother weep. But I see it is clear you have no intention of changing. I see no reason to discuss it further.

Then Nikolai’s mate reveals to Worf that she is carrying Nikolai’s child. Worf is outraged.

Worf to Nikolai: How could you have mated with a Boraalan?! What were you thinking?!
Nikolai: I don’t owe you an explanation. 
Worf: As usual, you are only thinking of yourself.
Nikolai: And, as usual, you are here to point out the error of my ways.
Worf: You have treated [her] with dishonor!
Nikolai: I have not! I love her and we’re going to raise our child together.
Worf: (Shouting) That is not possible. I cannot allow you to remain here.
Nikolai: You will have to kill me first!

(Both getting ready to fight physically, fists drawn back, ready to punch). At this point, the holodeck malfunctions again and their attention is diverted to the malfunction.

The Resolution


Worf: I do not want to fight you, Nikolai. 
Nikolai: Things were never easy between us, were they? (looking sad) It’s my fault. If I’d been more like you, we wouldn’t have had so many problems.
Worf: No. If you had been more like me, these people would not be here now. You gave them a chance at a new life.
Nikolai: And I intend to share that life with them. The village will need a new chronicle. Someone will have to begin it. My child will need a father. My place is here. I’m finally taking responsibility. 
Worf: (Smiling). You were never good at drawing. How will you keep a chronicle? 
Nikolai: I learn quickly.
Worf: Then perhaps there is hope.

Worf takes the initiative to give his brother a manly hug. His brother hugs him back. They are both smiling.

What has changed?


In the last scene between Worf and his brother, Nikolai takes responsibility for the effects of his nature causing problems. Worf points out that those very qualities are what saved a tribe of people. Nikolai assets that he is taking responsibility by assuming the role of chronicler, staying with them, and raising a family. Worf expresses a bit of humour at Nikolai taking the role of chronicler when he can’t draw very well. Nikolai expresses his ability to learn quickly and Worf, in return, expresses hope.

I see the qualities of good communication in the last dialogue between Worf and Nikolai. Each of them acknowledge ‘what is’, take responsibility for their own actions and acknowledge the honorable qualities in the other, three elements involved in successful communication and resolution (Rosenberg, 1999).

Reference

Rosenberg, M. B. (1999). Nonviolent communication: A language of compassion. Del Mar, CA: PuddleDancer Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment